Sunday, March 17, 2013

Apple Crumble with Coconut Whipped Cream.

The worst part of starting paleo for me was that I had to give up baking. I love baking! But I've turned a positive eye on the situation. I'm claiming this situation to find new ways to bake!

My first baking journey was this yummy dessert. 

Apple Crumble with Coconut Whipped Cream:

Apples, chopped up (I used 2 apples which is a good amount for 2 people)
Nuts, I used pecans
Lemon juice
Cinnamon and nutmeg
Coconut flour, about 1/3 cup
Dried dates, 4-5
Coconut Oil, about 1-2 tablespoons chilled (so it's solid)


1. Chop up the apples and nuts, combine in a bowl and sprinkle lemon juice over them. Spice it up with some cinnamon and nutmeg.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and dates. Add chopped solid coconut oil and blend again.
3. Place filling in either individual ramekins or a pie dish. Cover with topping and seal with foil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes then uncover and bake till the tops are nice and brown. 
4. Top with coconut whipped cream, which you can find here, and enjoy!

Feel free to mix it up with different fruit and nut combos. Next on my list is strawberries and almonds!!

NOTE: I noticed that the topping was a bit dry for my taste. I want to play around with it and figure out how to make it more crumbly. Once I do, I'll post it.

1 comment: